This quick guide will help you, to restore your weathered, grey teak outdoor furniture to its original, natural honey tones, and weather proof the timber to keep it looking like new, all year round.
By using just 3 Golden Care products
and the simple procedures outlined below - you will be proudly entertaining again in no time! Remember to take a ‘before’ photo of your furniture.
Before we start, grab an allen key and give all of the bolts a good tighten to ensure the furniture remains sturdy.
Prepping the teak with the cleaner
First up - we have to use the Cleaner. This step is important, but simple and quick and makes a tonne of difference. Make sure you take some ‘before’ photos as the change is amazing.
Golden Care’s Teak & Hardwood Cleaner is used to remove the weathered, silver-grey patina from the surface of your furniture. Follow the simple steps below to clean your furniture thoroughly before the next 2 steps.
How to use:
- Before using, eye protection and rubber gloves should be worn. Cover the ground under your working area.
- First, moisten the furniture with water.
- Shake bottle well before use.
- Apply TEAK CLEANER with a soft sponge or cloth. Allow to soak for 3 minutes.
- Brush furniture clean with a scrubbing pad in the direction of the grain.
- Rinse well with water.
- To make your colour last longer, leave till completely dry, and then apply TEAK PROTECTOR.
Protecting the teak
Next we use the Teak Protector, which maintains the natural colour after application.
It lasts 4 times longer than teak oil which can make the wood look dark brown. And twice as long as teak sealers, which can make the wood often look too red or orange.
The protector is environmentally friendly too - 100% water based, no toxic fumes, and non-flammable. It is not an oil - so it is not greasy and clothes stay clean. It is resistant to mould and prevents those unsightly black spots on the teak.
It is fast and easy to apply.
Let’s get started!
How to Use:
- Before using the TEAK PROTECTOR, eye protection and rubber gloves should be worn.
- Grey Teak or teak treated with teak-oil must first be cleaned with TEAK CLEANER
- New Teak: first clean with Golden Care Teak Cleaner, to remove some of the natural teak oils (or weather for 2 weeks outside before treatment)
- If the cleaned wood feels rough, sand lightly. Make sure teak is 100% dry and clean.
- Shake and Stir Teak Protector for at least a minute. Insufficient shaking can lead to uneven weathering/protectant.
- Apply a very thin layer of TEAK PROTECTOR evenly over the furniture with a clean, lint-free cloth. (We recommend using a sponge)
- After approximately 30 minutes drying time apply a second coat.
- It is highly recommended that you treat your furniture with TEAK PROTECTOR at least once a year
- We highly recommend using Golden Care Teak Shield after Teak Protector. Teak Protector needs to be completely dry before teak shield is applied.
Use the Shield!
The final step in this quick and easy restoring project is to use the Golden Care Teak Shield. Teak Shield is an almost invisible shield to prevent food stains like coffee, red wines, oils etc.
We love that it is water based to make cleaning up easy. Follow these final steps below to finish restoring your teak furniture.
How to Use:
- Eye protection and rubber gloves should be worn. Cover the ground under your work area before starting.
- Make sure the furniture is 100% dry and clean.
- Shake well. Apply a thin coat with a dry, lint free cloth, or sponge.
- Allow to dry for 4 hours, then apply a second thin coat. Let the teak dry for 48 hours before exposure to moisture.
- It is recommended that you treat your teak furniture with TEAK SHIELD a few times a year. Tabletops should be treated more often. When water doesn’t bead on the surface, it is time to redo it.
Don’t forget to take a photo of your finished furniture. Put them together with your before photo and send them to us via Facebook, Instagram or email.
That’s it! You are done! 3 easy steps to restoring your teak furniture to look new again, to maintain the natural colour and keep it resistant to stains. Remember to send us some photos! We would love to see your work, and we may even share it on our page!!
Sign up to our newsletter to receive all of our tips, tricks & news straight to your inbox every month.